Recommended Books for Parents
- Gomi, Taro. Everyone Poops. Kane/Miller, 1993.
- Harris, Robie. It’s Perfectly Normal: Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex and Sexual Health. 1994.
- Lewis, Rose. I Love You Like Crazy Cakes, (Overseas Adoptions). Little, Brown: Boston, 2000.
- Middleman, Amy. A Boy’s Guide to Becoming a Teen, Jossey-Bass: San Francisco, CA, 2006.
- Newberger, Eli. The Men They Will Become: the Nurture and Nature of Male Character, Reading, MA: 1999
- Pantley, Elizabeth. The No-Cry Sleep Solution. McGraw-Hill, 2002
- Schaefer, Valorie, The Care and Keeping of You: the Body Book for Girls. Middleton, WI: Pleasant Co. Publications (American Girl Library), 1998.
- Shelov, Steven, editor. Caring for Your Baby and Young Child. New York: Bantam, 1991 and later.
- Spock, Benjamin. Dr. Spock’s Baby and Child Care, 7th edition., New York: Dutton 1998.
- Voors, William, The Parent’s Book About Bullying, Center City, MN: Hazeldon, 2000
- Gold, Ronald. Your Child’s Best Shot – A parent’s guide to vaccination • Canadian Paediatric Society – 2006
- Faber, Adele and Elaine Mazlish. How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk. Avon Books, 1982.
- Faber, Adele and Elaine Mazlish. Siblings Without Rivalry. Avon Books, 1980.
- Faber, Adele and Elaine Mazlish. Liberated Parents/Liberated Children: Your Guide to a Happier Family.
- Feiden, Karen. Raising Responsible Kids. Prentice Hall Press, NY, 1991.
- Wolf, Anthony. It’s Not Fair, Jeremy Spencer’s Parents Let Him Stay Up All Night.Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 1995.
- Whitman, Cynthia. Winning the Whining War and Other Skirmishes. Perspective Publishing, LA, 1991.
- Tracy, Louise Felton. Grounded for Life?! Parenting Press Inc., 1994.
- Wolf, Anthony. Get Out of My Life, But First, Will You Drive Me and Cheryl to the Mall?Noonday Press, 1991.
- Brazleton, T. Berry. Toddlers and Parents. Dell Publishing, 1974.
- Louise Bates Ames and Frances L. Ilg — Series of books by child’s age (ex. Your Two Year Old.) Gesell Institute of Child Development.
- Books by Penelope Leach. (ex. Your Baby and Child: From Birth to Age Five.) Alfred Knop, Inc., 1985.
- Ferber, Richard, MD. Solve Your Child’s Sleep Problems. Simon and Schuster, 1985.
- Mind in the Making: The Seven Essential Life Skills Every Child Needs by Ellen Galinsky
- NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman
- Smart Parenting for Smart Kids: Nurturing Your Child’s True Potential by Eileen Kennedy Moore, PhD Mark S Lowenthal, PsyD
- Playful Learning: Develop Your Child’s Sense of Joy and Wonder by Mariah Bruehl
- Einstein Never Used Flashcards: How Our Children Really Learn – and Why They Need to Play More and Memorize Less by Kathy Hirsh-Pasek, Ph.D. & Roberta Michnick Golinkoff, Ph.D.
- Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five by John Medina
- No Regrets Parenting: Turning Long Days and Short Years into Cherished Moments with Your Kidsby Harley Robart, M.D.
- Different Learners: Identifying, Preventing, and Treating Your Child’s Learning Problems by Jane M. Healy, Ph.D.
- Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier, and More Secure Kids by Kim John Payne and Lisa M. Ross
- Fun On the Run by Cynthia L. Copeland
- Kalnins, Daina and Saab, Joanne. The Hospital for Sick Children, Better Baby Food. Robert Rose Inc., 2001
- Melina, Vesanto and Davis, Brenda. Becoming Vegetarian, 2003
- Satter, Ellyn. Child of Mine. Feeding with Love and Good Sense. Bull Publishing Co., 2000.
- Satter, Ellyn. How to Get Your Kid to Eat … But Not Too Much, 1987.
- Satter, Ellyn. Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family. Kelay Press, 1999.
For parents of teenagers:
To understand more about why children do what they do:
If your kids aren’t sleeping at night:
Ten Parenting Books:
Books on Feeding & Nutrition: